Tuesday, September 9, 2008

John William Godward paintings

John William Godward paintings
John William Waterhouse paintings
John Singer Sargent paintings
More than content, I went back into the entrance-hall; rather than disturb the reunion I would walk the few kilometers to the Infirmary, where I hoped to find Dr. Sear and perhaps Anastasia as well. There was a bustle on the wide central staircase: Mrs. Rexford, crisp and elegant, came down with a gaggle of scribbling ladies and a phalanx of suitcase-bearing young men. Coolly she moved in their van, a slim-legged, doe-eyed, soft-mouthed beauty, with the high-strung grace of careful breeding -- truly a Hedda among lady girls (though deficient of udder). She regarded me and my detention-suit with brief disdain while one of her female companions informed her that her husband was at the front gate, and that the press wanted to photograph them together before she left on her vacation-trip. She glanced somewhat petulantly towards a fellow in her retinue, who, though dressed like a chancellor's aide, had not gone with the others; I thought I saw him nod.
"All right," she said, daintily vexed. I considered warning her of Mr. Rexford's changed attitude -- but her cool and powdered elegance I found not approachable. I felt

1 comment:

PaintingHere.com said...

"John William Godward paintings"