Saturday, October 4, 2008

Claude Monet Voorzan near Zaandam painting

Claude Monet Voorzan near Zaandam paintingClaude Monet Vetheuil in the Summer paintingClaude Monet Venice The Doge Palace painting
reached the ferry; we had reached a deadlock. With scarcely another word I saw her to the convent, then took the bus back to Carfax.
Sebastian was in my rooms waiting for me. ‘I’m going to cable to papa,’ he said. ‘He won’t let them force me into this priest’s house.’
‘But if they make it a condition of your coming up?’
‘I shan’t come up. Can you imagine me - serving mass twice a week, helping at tea parties for shy Catholic freshmen, dining with the visiting lecturer at the Newman, drinking a glass of port when we have guests, with Mgr Bell’s eye on me to see I don’t get too much, being explained, when I was out of the room, as the rather embarrassing local inebriate who’s being taken in because his mother is so charming?’ ‘I told her it wouldn’t do,’ I said.
‘Shall we get really drunk tonight?’

No comments: